Wednesday, October 14, 2015

MN Showcase Home Tour

Last week I ventured into the Twin Cities to explore a stunning house that was thoughtfully constructed by a local builder and turned into a beautiful “home” by 27 talented interior designers. One of the things I want to do more here on the blog, is share where I personally find inspiration and ideas and talk more about the little little side trips I take.  And let me tell you, this home was right up my style alley.


Each year, Mpls. St. Paul Magazine hosts a Showcase Home Tour in the Twin Cities.  This is the first year I had heard of the event, and I am so glad I was able to squeeze in some time to visit during the final days of the tour.  The home was built by Great Neighborhood Homes for a local family who has a passion for the beach.  That is something I can personally relate to!  Ever since my mother and father in-law purchased a place in Florida, it has become our favorite family vacation destination and I can’t seem to soak up enough sun, sand and sea.  Not only do I love the warm temps, sounds of the crashing waves and the overall relaxing atmosphere that Florida offers, I am madly in love with beach colors and textures!  So good!


This particular home was created in partnership with the American Society of Interior Designers, in which 27 designers brought the homeowner’s beachy visions to life.  But you would never know so many folks were involved in the process as the entire home flows seamlessly from one room to the next.


Taking tours like this is like hopping into a 3D episode of an HGTV design show or MTV’s Cribs.  However, it is so much more exciting than any reality television reveal because you can get a real idea of the space plan, touch the finishes and smell the fresh flowers.


I brought my camera and navigated around groups of people to snag some of my favorite moments throughout the tour.  Oh, hi there! #nicebooties


Although we don’t have any lofty goals of living in a super-sized abode, there were many moments throughout the tour that provided me with ideas and inspiration that we can incorporate into our own spaces.  For example, I am smitten with the idea of opening up the front porch and adding hanging pendants paired with a lovely painted wood ceiling.  I also would smile big if we were able to find a place to install a Chippendale style railing.

Let’s head inside through the gorgeous aqua dutch door where we are welcomed with a variety or warm finishes and beautiful beachy hues.  


The majority of the main floor was wide open as each room seamlessly flowed into the next, yet was nicely divided by decorative moulding and playful ceiling treatments.


As lovely as the furnishings were throughout the entire home, for me, the mouldings, wall and ceiling treatments stole the show.


As did the paint colors, floors and even the door hardware.


In the living room, my eyes went straight for the fireplace and I was excited to see a natural stone tile paired with a classic white mantle.  The wall behind the book ledges was lined with a subtle grasscloth wallpaper, which complimented the wall color yet offered a nice texture to the feature wall.


As I mentioned, this home was filled with my favorite colors and patterns; those blue and white stripe chairs were definitely calling my name!  I also admired the round pedestal table at the end of the sofa, pom pom pillows and wall to wall french doors leading out to the back deck.


From the main living area, we took a quick stroll down the hall to a home office, reading nook and den.


The view to the den is nothing short of stunning, and the ceiling treatment was another memorable moment of many.


As much as I loved the interior of the home, I could see myself spending endless hours enjoying the outdoors. Just off of the sitting room was an outdoor sitting area that dreams are made of.


I know we all want to stop for a moment to oooh and aahhh over that tall, blue ceiling, but we have so much more to see so I am forcing myself to move on.

The fireplace can be utilized while in the den or outdoors, and it is the focal point of the sitting area (which can also be screened in).  The ottomans are covered in a bold outdoor fabric and a rolling cart provides an area for visiting and relaxing.


Relaxing while taking in this outdoor view….



Back to reality Jen… I mean seriously!  How great to have the entire home open up to the same deck area, the setup is simply brilliant for both day-to-day living and entertaining.  And although I tried to put those sliding pocket doors into my own pockets and take them home with me, they just wouldn’t fit.  #sigh #needdeeperpockets

One thing anyone can do, however, is add an amazing focal wall to their dining space.  Talk about making a statement!


Not only does it make you say, “WOW” while viewing it from the back deck, the dining area can also be seen from the living area and adjoining kitchen.




We are over the moon happy with our Cambria quartz counters, and I loved seeing them used throughout this dreamy home as well.  Major heart eyes for the complimenting slab of backsplash in this high-end kitchen.  The herringbone ceiling and those pendants receive glowing reviews as well. 


Being that I love high-functioning organized areas, there were a few personal favorites that I soaked up as I walked from room to room.  The first was the surprise pantry that was discreetly tucked off to the side of the kitchen.


The walk-in area boasts adjustable open shelving and pull out baskets, as well as concealed storage behind drawers and doors.  The counter provides space for a lot of work and prep to happen here, allowing the primary kitchen counters to remain clutter free.  And once again, the wallpaper totally makes the space come alive.


The kitchen wraps around to a darling family command area.  A desk for managing daily paperwork and bills, an abundance of cabinetry for office supplies and craft storage, a garden view and a cozy upholstered chair are the ideal equation for keeping daily schedules and responsibilities organized.


To the right, another hallway, this one leading to a half bath and mudroom.




The floor-to-ceiling shiplap walls really allow the wallpapered ceiling to stand out.

And the room that made my heart race faster than any other… The mudroom!


This space as pure perfection and is what I dream about as I sleep each night.  Cubbies with open and concealed storage?  Check.  Easy to clean tile flooring?  Check.  A puppy station and dog door?  Check.  Planked ceilings and pretty wallpaper?  Check and check!  In my best Wayne Campbell voice, “She will be mine.  Oh yes, she will be mine.”


The home’s main level is for living, the lower level is purely for playing and lounging and the upstairs is for sleeping and relaxing.  Although I didn’t take too many photos of the basement, I did love the paint color on the bar area cabinets.


Upstairs, the master bedroom, bathrooms and closets are located in their own “wing”.  And this view shows the impact different wall finishes and moldings can make.


Those white closet doors are delicious and will serve as inspiration for future doors in our dressing room.

And yes, I said, “bathrooms”.  The husband and wife each have their own bathroom and closet space, located on opposite ends of the bedroom.  I especially loved her bathroom; everything from the soaker tub to the nook of shelves to the detail of the blue colored sink.




The master bedroom felt like a beach side hotel retreat, perfect for unwinding each day.


Yet again, another fabulous ceiling treatment.  And can we all collectively drool over the wall treatment behind the fireplace?  It is another moment of inspiration we plan to incorporate within our own home.


The laundry nook is hidden behind a barn door painted in a lovely teal color.


And a peaceful sitting area joins the master suite area to the side of the home where the children’s bedrooms are located.


With all boys at home, I enjoyed living vicariously through the homeowner’s life with daughters.  Their two girls each have their own bedroom, closet, bathroom and cozy window seat.

The first girl’s bedroom was decorated with feminine pinks and patterns.



And the window bench area sported the most stellar moulding details.


While the second girl’s bedroom was given a warm wood wall treatment and cozy hanging chair.



As well as another window bench… This time the wallpaper was the major eye catcher.


These photos only scratch the surface of all this luxury home had to offer and simply highlight the areas that gobbled up my attention and provided ideas, inspiration and new “to do” list items for our own home.  You can find out more about the designers behind each space here, view additional photos of the home here, and learn more about the homeowner’s family here.

Did any of these special spaces strike an idea or two or for your home?  Maybe a color combination or a pattern pairing?  How about a wall treatment or moulding detail? 


from IHeart Organizing http://iheartorganizing.blogspot.com/2015/10/mn-showcase-home-tour.html

No comments:

Post a Comment