Thursday, March 24, 2016

UHeart Organizing: An Eclectic Jewelry Display

I am hoping that today I can inspire you to think outside of the jewelry box, and set up a little in-home boutique for your favorite bangles.  I did this exercise a few years ago, not the kind of exercise that helped me lose weight (or lose anything else for that matter), but one that helped me gain a little appreciation for my collection (you can see my display here).  I found that I was so much more prone to reach for a variety of pieces and actually switch things up on a daily basis.

My very dear friend, Cassie, is not only about as sweet as they come, she is also quite fashionable.  In fact, I look to her for style advice all of the time and you can bet I pried her for all of her secrets and tips during my most recent visit.  I appreciate the fact that she is always finding fresh ways to use many of the items she already has in her closet, and she shops for pieces on my type of budget.  One things that all of us can do to make the most of our existing wardrobe, is to change up the accessories that go with it.  Swapping shoes, handbags, jewelry and even makeup, can completely transform an outfit.

Traditional jewelry storage has been to keep it concealed in a box or drawer, but I say, break free!  Putting together a happy (and of course organized) accessory display, ensures that your collection is used each day.  It will also inspire you to change things up, and visiting your “shop” can become a fun part of your daily outfit planning process.

Cassie’s abode is filled with color, style and joy around every corner.  I was constantly gasping and grinning as she gave me the full tour of her home, and entering her closet was no exception.  I am so excited she is here today to share her eclectic jewelry and accessory display, and I hope it encourages some of you to do something similar in your own closets.



Hello friends! I’m thrilled to be back sharing my latest organizing project with you… inspired by none other, than the darling hostess of this blog, Jen! I’ve had some pretty awesome experiences come from blogging (did someone say Redbook cover?! #shamlessbrag), but the genuine friendships I’ve made definitely top the list.

Mine and Jen’s blog-paths crossed early on, and we immediately clicked. Over the years, our friendship has grown from one that centered around our love of blogging, to one that has us vacationing together with our families! Pretty crazy, considering we live 1000 miles apart and met on the Internet, right?!

Last month, Jen flew to Texas for a long weekend (remember this closet we overhauled!?), and I stuffed her full of tacos, then picked her brain on every space of my house! When she left, I had a notebook filled with tips for organizing all the nooks and crannies… including, carving out an accessories closet.



When we moved to our new house (I should probably stop calling it ‘new’ considering we’ve lived there a year now!), some organization systems moved with us… seamlessly fitting into their new space… like the pantry. Others required a fair amount of tweaking, like my bathroom cabinets.

And some I never had before, like an organized closet, with space for all my accessories! But, I hit the closet-jackpot in this house, and we have a generous walk-in with a window! (Which became my nemesis when shooting these pics for you!!) In the past, I’ve kept earrings in caddies, necklaces on hooks, and bags piled in a basket… which basically meant I couldn’t see what I had when putting together an outfit, so I just reached for the same items everyday. Out of sight, out of mind, right?

But now, thanks to a few key (inexpensive) pieces, and stuff found around the house, I’ve not only got everything corralled together and clearly visible, but also created a pretty spot in my closet!

It was sheer luck that our Ikea Hemnes dresser fit perfectly under the window, wedged between the shelves… and the top became an obvious spot to organize and display my baubles. If you don’t have a dresser or table top, you can easily install a shelf using a piece of wood and some L-brackets.


The fun thing about organizing jewelry, is it’s already so pretty… so having it on display is like decor for your closet or bathroom! I shopped my house for pretty little trays, plates, tea cups, and bowls, and grouped like items together for easy access. Virtually any vessel can be used, it doesn’t have to be specific to organizing… mine are a collection from Ikea, Target, World Market, Anthropologie, and J.Crew, that I’ve gathered over the years.




I thought about cup hooks or pretty knobs for hanging my necklaces, but decided on this clear peg organizer for a more seamless look. And once again, we got lucky with just enough space! It’s almost like I was meant to take over Mr. SP’s side of the closet for my accessories!!?? #cantfightfatebabe


And these acrylic stands are nicely weighted, so they don’t topple with a load of bracelets.



The dresser top also holds items I reach for daily when getting dressed… chapstick, lipstick, sunglasses, and nail polish. The pink tube is my latest style weapon… Say Hello to Longer Legs… You can read my review of the shoe inserts here.



So that covers jewelry…now lets talk handbags!


Turns out shower curtain rings make the best handbag hooks! My favorites are the S-hooks, but any will work. My only tips when choosing yours is to make sure they open easily so you can get your bag down without a struggle, and that the ring is wide enough for handbag handles.



My trick for organizing clutches is a letter sorter or lid rack! Are you a handbag collector like me?! I have a weakness for inexpensive, colorful ones… and now I can easily swap them out to accessorize my outfit!



If you’ve read any of my style posts… like {Five Ways} or {Day to Night}… then you likely recognize most of these pieces! They are all in heavy rotation.




I love adding jazzy jewels, like pearl cluster necklaces, tassel bracelets, and leopard cuffs to my everyday outfits… you can find them here.


Getting dressed has always been one of my favorite parts of a new day, and now I’ve upped my accessories game by being able to access everything in one spot. It’s like my own little boutique every morning! Thanks for letting me share, and happy dressing organizing, lovebugs!

_____________________________________

Hi, I’m Cassie, a DIY and design-obsessed Texas girl, and lover of travel, fashion, sarcasm and Mexican food. When I’m not hanging with my sweet and funny family, you can find me kicking the '80s out of our home, one budget project at a time, on my blog Hi Sugarplum!


from IHeart Organizing http://www.iheartorganizing.com/2016/03/uheart-organizing-eclectic-jewelry.html

No comments:

Post a Comment