Thursday, October 27, 2016

Laundry Room Update: Installing a Drop-in Sink

Last week I shared a jumbo sized update we made to our laundry room, and it has already made such a positive impact in how we use the space. 

It all started with the desire to streamline the look of the room, and more importantly, improve the overall functionality. The goal was to add a full counter for folding, as well as a large sink for washing everything from dishes to special care garments.

Our previous sink was a stock utility basin, which over 15 years of use had become layered with so much grime I couldn’t even tell you the original color any longer. 

We pulled the old sink out a few months ago, and I had zero idea the impact that would make. It really was a chance to belt out some “Don’t know what you got, ‘til it’s gone…” #singitwithme  But now we are singing happier tunes, because we once again have an installed sink with running water, and this one is much cleaner!

This was our first DIY plumbing installation of this nature, and we found it to be easier than expected (does that ever happen in DIY?). Here is how it all went down.

We had experienced a little bowing from an inexpensive laminate counter we previously used in our laundry room, which was ultimately due to a lack of proper support. This made us leery to ever install laminate again, however, in a laundry room in our type of home, it is what financially made the most sense. We ordered two pieces from Home Depot and they were delivered weeks later. We placed the piece onto the base cabinet and realized that they added a lip, although the intention was for the piece to only span the exact distance of the sink cabinet due to the built-in washer/dryer arrangement (and therefore have no lip/overhang). Before we could install the sink, we needed to reinforce the entire piece with some solid pieces of wood around the underside of the counter.

Once the counter was reinforced and affixed to the base cabinet, it was time to measure twice (or more) and prepare to cut once.

A template arrived with the sink I had purchased, but after cutting it out, we realized it was completely the wrong size. Good thing we checked it against the sink before making our counter cuts, or we would have been in big trouble.

Tossing out the incorrect template, it was time to do some good ol’ fashion measuring ourselves. The sink had a lip on the underside, and we measured and transferred our diagram to the top of the counter accordingly.

We placed strips of blue painter’s tape on the counter, then used a Sharpie to draw our cut lines on top of the tape. The painter’s tape was used to minimize any rough cuts from our jigsaw.

To create a starting point for the jigsaw blade, we used a spade bit with our drill, drilling a hole in an inside corner of the template.

Then carefully followed our pre-drawn cut lines with the jigsaw.

It was helpful to use the spade bit to drill a hole on all four corners to get the most accurate cuts.

After three of the four sides were cut, we attached a board to the top of the cut piece to prevent it from crashing down into the cabinet while the final cut was being made (it also kept the entire piece supported for the jigsaw to easily glide to the end as well).

Then after the cutout was removed, we did a quick fit test and celebratory high five.

We lifted the sink back out, removed the painter’s tape, and placed a bead of silicone caulk around the perimeter of the cut prior to re-setting the sink (the caulk goes on white and turns clear).

With the sink back in place, we filled a large bucket of water and set it inside of the sink to provide added weight while the caulk dried overnight. We were also quick to wipe away any of the silicone that came out around the edges.

Speaking of, that is one of the best parts of the sink; a large mop bucket fits inside with room to spare!

After the sink was set and the caulk was dry, we installed the remainder of the plumbing, including the new pull down faucet.

Overall, we are really happy with the sink and faucet we purchased. I am a really big fan of a chrome finish for faucets as I find it to be the easiest finish to keep clean. And the sink is ridiculously awesome because of the size and sleekness. My only criticism of the sink is that it won’t be as easy as the faucet to keep clean… it seems to attract watermarks.

Now that the space is functioning big and running the way we have been dreaming of for years, we are one the hunt for some wood shelves and a backsplash! And maybe a little under-the-sink organization. #thatsmyfavoritepart

from IHeart Organizing

No comments:

Post a Comment